Wednesday, March 3, 2010

a whale of a day!

okay, so maybe that's the most overused way to put "whale" into a sentence but it kind of fits here....
shouldn't we all have a whale of a day on our birthday? i love love love birthdays and think we all deserve that one day...or week...or month to be celebrated! i got to have lunch with my mom and sister at a place called haven. it's my sister's fave, and quickly becoming a family spot. it's green from head to toe and everything on the menu is from within a hundred miles of houston. go local food movement! such an important thing for local farmers and small businesses. plus you know what you are eating and it's more likely to be real food versus all the fake stuff allowed in our diets these days. i mean who goes up to the counter and asks for some red lake #9 and a side of fries? of course you don't, but trust me it's in there...but i digress.
if i could have one birthday wish just for me, it would be to go whale watching. my friend katy and i are currently dreaming about it, so to make my wish come true i am posting my recently finished "jonah the whale" softie. it was fun to photograph him and make a little collage for the background.


and here he is from the starboard side of our ship.


has anyone seen, by the way, the movie "the science of sleep" with my movie star crush gael garcia bernal? making my whale collage reminded me of the beautiful scenes created with moving toys, felt telephones, and cellophane pieces. i would love to help create a movie like that. sigh. maybe someday, jonah the whale.
for my birthday my sister linsey gave me some cute little hair clips she found by an artist named mai mckemy. the care she put into her packaging is so splendid i almost didn't want to unwrap it! inside the tiny envelope is a little note in little letters reading "thank you!"


so it was indeed a whale of a day! here's hoping katy and i get to go whale watching someday, and we really will be in our little red boat on the sea...

2 comments:

  1. Love this! You inspired me to post...something ENTIRELY different...typical of us! You GO with your three things a week! Love that! I also love that I'm the one who gets to be your sister...that you're all MINE when it comes to sisterhood! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh "science of sleep" gives me pangs of artsy longings inside when i watch it--i think, HOW can i get to do something so fun and amazing as creating things like that?! i love the horse, and the wavy sea they make from cellophane...so beautiful. GGB is my movie crush, too...though his character in that film leaves something to be desired (creativity aside) :)
    love you!

    ReplyDelete